Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Electric Pickle of God

Here's a very well meaning man making a very misconceived metaphor.



You know, I don't want to dog on this guy too much (lie) but I do think its funny how Christians and sometimes others, will take anything thrown at them and use it as a metaphor for the power/love/greatness of God/Jesus/Faith. I'm not too in the business of bashing other people's religion since my religion is mostly full of self defiling and lacks any sort of Sabbath or reverence of the kind, so I'm use to a bit of bashing myself, but I just want to put a general pointer out there. If you're going to commit yourself to a particular metaphor (i.e. light given off my electrified pickle equals power of God) then you have to accept the various metaphors that are drawn from the same set up.

A few examples -

One you're electrocuting a pickle. And since in this metaphor the pickle is suppose to be me, well that equals bad right off the bat. I think its a good rule of thumb that if your metaphoric representation of your subject has to endure something painful then its not a good metaphor.

Second, in order to see the light properly you have to turn the lights off (I know you could see it at the end, but I didn't set up the experiment). So, in order to properly see the metaphoric light of God in the metaphoric Christian, you have to turn the metaphoric lights off? Wait what are the lights metaphors for? That'll keep you guessing.

Third, sort of an addendum to one and two, but did you see the smoke and the juice pouring out of the pickle? Again, if God causes smoke and discolored juice to come out of the holes he jabbed me with I don't think I want anything to do with it. And maybe this is why he turned off the lights?

Fourth, the king I think really, in a set-up where we have been accepting your ridiculous metaphor you end by telling us "Don't try this at home". Sure I know you mean don't go sticking pickles in electric sockets, but I can't help but get the feeling that you mean, "Don't try and show off the love of God at home". And I'm like, "What? Isn't that why you just fried that tasty accessory to a sandwich? Aren't I suppose to want to try this at home?!"

Okay I know, its just a metaphor, but these are powerful things. And when you have some well meaning soul out there attempting to "put things in a way the kids on the youtube can understand" you end up with ridiculous things like electrocuting a pickle. Of course its not as bad as the banana or the peanut butter.



0 comments: